jQuery is three years old today, after being released way back on January 14th, 2006 at the first BarCampNYC by John Resig.
Below are the big features of this release (taken from jQuery's blog):
- Sizzle: A sizzlin’ hot CSS selector engine.
- Live Events: Event delegation with a jQuery twist.
- jQuery Event Overhaul: Completely rewired to simplify event handling.
- HTML Injection Rewrite: Lightning-fast HTML appending.
- Offset Rewrite: Super-quick position calculation.
- No More Browser Sniffing: Using feature detection to help jQuery last for many more years to come.
The full details of the release can be found in the release notes: